Just so the guys don’t feel left out, I thought I’d share with you what I have been buying for myself and for my male clients so we can look oh so cool as the weather (finally) warms up.
1. The off white blazer. It’s the transformational piece of the summer. It has the formality of a dinner jacket, but it’s made of cotton and, ideally, it’s a bit cropped and tight to the body. Dress it down with jeans and wear it everywhere you want to look “oh so cool.” Think Ashton Kutcher on the cover of Details.
Buy the Gucci one he’s wearing if your budget allows. I bought the version from Philip Lim 3.1 (shown here) for $695 at Jake on Oak Street. It feels amazing on! Banana Republic makes a shawl collared version from their Heritage Collection for $375.
2. The skinny tie. If you must wear a tie, it should be a skinny one or at the very least much skinnier than the one you are most probably currently wearing. Unless you shop in the big and tall department, your tie should be no more than 2 inches in width, and this summer, preferably in a bold rep pattern. Try Jil Sander, Z Zegna, Theory, Band of Outsiders or Dries Van Noten.
I can’t live without my Band of Outsiders ties, which you can find at Barneys, Apartment Number 9 and Jake. For summer I bought a silk cream and yellow rep stripe by Dries van Noten at Barneys, $155. I also bought a red and white horizontal stripe knit tie from Alexandre Savile Row, $95, at Macy’s State Street. Both of them look amazing with a white shirt! (See #5 below.)
3. The trainer shoe. This summer I can’t live without Puma’s AMQ canvas street low top designed by Alexander McQueen, $200. Only 100 pairs were made and they are available at Saks (while supplies last, as they say.)
4. The terry cloth shoe insert. Unless you are at work, you don’t have to/shouldn’t wear socks in the warm weather months–even with dress shoes. Buy yourself several pairs of the “Cool Off” terry cloth shoe inserts from Aldo, $6.99. They will absorb the sweat and smell from your bare feet, and you can throw them in the wash like socks. Pure genius. Consider this must have a gift from me to you!
5. The narrow collar trim fit white dress shirt. Enough said. It’s the only shirt that looks right now. Just go buy one that fits that exact description.
6. The trim fit polo. Hugo Boss Orange Label at the flagship store on Michigan Avenue carries the best one of the season in 3 colors, black with blue sleeve detail, brown with yellow and cream with gray. Peer polo, $75.
7. The pinstripe white cotton pant. Wear it casually with a polo or throw a black sportcoat over it with a white shirt. Either way, you look completely appropriate when you need to navigate the vast wasteland between jeans and dress pants. You can find the “Producer” pant at Express for $39.50. But the best one can be found at Club Monaco. I bought myself and my clients the Ethan model with black stripe, $129. It comes already cuffed, which makes it look sleek and ultra cool.
8. The ribbon belt. If you don’t want to wear a tie, you can still look polished if you wear a ribbon belt instead of a leather one. Club Monaco makes 7 different colors, $39.
9. The skinny black jean. You don’t have to pay a lot for a great one. Express has the best pair around for $99. Just steam out the creative wrinkling. I’ve bought them for all my clients and they love them. The find of the summer, for me, is the midnight blue mineral wash stretch denim at American Apparel for $68. I’m going to live in that pair all summer.
10. Anything in Yves Klein blue. Try the J Lindeberg golf shirt at Stockholm Objects in Hinsdale, $96, or my pick, the Oliver Striped ribbon belt at Club Monaco for $39.
And guys, let me know what you can’t live without this season……